Long before the Gulf Coast was marked by lighthouses guiding ships safely toward port, it relied on something far more unusual: ships that never moved. Ten of these vessels once stood watch along the Gulf, permanently anchored over shoals, reefs, and channel entrances that threatened anything larger than a rowboat.
The reason was simple. The Gulf floor wouldn’t cooperate with traditional lighthouse construction. Its soft, shifting mud offered nothing like the bedrock needed to support a masonry tower.
So mariners turned to a floating substitute - the lightship - and one of the earliest in Texas was stationed right off Galveston.
A lightship was deployed at the Galveston bar before the first permanent lighthouse was completed. Federal lighthouse records show a lightship marking the entrance to Galveston Bay by 1851, while local logs indicate that an earlier vessel - later designated LV-XX - began service at the station in 1849.
The Bolivar Point Lighthouse, Texas’s first fully constructed lighthouse, did not begin operating until Christmas 1852.
Lightships served the same purpose as lighthouses: warning ships away from danger and guiding them safely toward port. They were used wherever deep water or unstable seabed conditions made a fixed tower impossible.
Each lightship carried an official designation and hull number, but mariners typically referred to a vessel by the station it served. As ships were reassigned, their station names changed, but their hull numbers stayed with the vessel.
After 1867, the naming system became more formalized, and lightships began receiving sequential numbers - such as No. 28 - even though sailors continued to use station names in everyday conversation.
Through all those changes, one principle stayed the same: a lightship remained fixed at its station, and when age, storms, or damage finally caught up with her, another vessel simply took her place.
The numbering system continued to evolve as the federal agencies overseeing navigation changed. In 1947, the Coast Guard introduced the WAL prefix for many lightships, assigning new numbers such as WAL-534.
Another update came in 1965, when WLV became the standard designation across the fleet. These changes reflected administrative reorganizations rather than any shift in how the ships operated.
The earliest generation of American lightships carried wooden hulls, a practical choice for the mid-19th century. They replaced even simpler predecessors known as beacon boats - small, undecked, unmanned craft that were securely moored and served as oversized buoys.
Beacon boats marked hazards but offered no crew, no lantern tower, and no ability to signal beyond a fixed light. Lightships represented a major step forward: staffed vessels capable of maintaining brighter lights, fog signals, and reliable warnings in all weather.
LV-XX
The first lightship assigned to the Galveston station was a wooden-hulled vessel recorded in federal logs as LV-XX, commonly referred to simply as “Galveston.” It was stationed just outside the harbor beginning in 1849 and remained there until 1853, though its station name changed to “Bolivar Road” in 1850 as charts and navigational references were updated.
After 1853, the vessel was reassigned briefly, then returned to the Galveston station from 1854 to 1860, continuing the standard practice of rotating ships while keeping the station continuously marked.
Captains of these early lightships earned $500 per year, roughly $21,500 in today’s dollars, a modest salary considering the isolation and constant exposure to Gulf weather.
Curiously, official Lighthouse Board and Coast Guard records show no lightship assigned to Galveston between 1860 and 1870. The gap coincides with the Civil War and its aftermath, when many navigational aids along the Gulf Coast were destroyed, removed, or left unstaffed until federal operations were fully restored.
LV-28
The next lightship assigned to the Galveston station was LV-28. Built in 1864, it first served at Bowlers Rock, Virginia, from 1864 to 1868, replacing a previous vessel that had been captured by Confederate forces during the Civil War.
Afterward, LV-28 spent a year as a relief lightship, filling in for other vessels undergoing repairs between 1868 and 1869. It arrived at the Galveston station in 1870, where it remained on duty for more than three decades.
LV-28 was an 82-foot, two-masted wooden schooner constructed of live oak, hackmatack, and pine, fastened with copper and iron. Its equipment reflected the standard technology of the era: a single lantern, a trysail, a bell and foghorn for signaling in poor visibility, and a fixed white light elevated 48 feet above sea level.
The death of Captain Hamilton J. Gedney - known, for reasons lost to time, as “Captain Jeff”- was widely reported in Texas newspapers in February 1886 because of the tragic and unusual circumstances surrounding it. Gedney had commanded LV-28 for eighteen years.
On the day he died, the sixty-seven-year-old captain was on shore leave and stopped at the Shade Saloon on Market Street between 25th and 26th.
He sat in a back room visiting with friends and bought ginger cakes from a passing peddler, sharing them with others and keeping one for himself. When he tried to swallow the cake, he choked and collapsed before help could reach him.
Though Gedney was known for running LV-28 with strict discipline, sobriety, and fairness, his time ashore was spent in saloons on drinking sprees - fueling gossip about the true cause of his death. He also had a peculiar habit: when he came ashore, he refused to sleep in a bed, choosing instead to rest upright in chairs.
Gedney had often said he wished to be buried in New York, but his relatives sent word that he should be laid to rest in Galveston. He was buried in Trinity Episcopal Cemetery, where his grave remains today.
Gedney’s place was taken by Captain Martin Stocker, whose long experience proved valuable to the ship traffic moving through Galveston Bay for more than a decade.
Humans weren’t the only ones kept safe by the lightships. In May 1899, when the British steamship Polycarp departed Galveston for Liverpool, it carried a large Newfoundland dog bound for England.
While the ship was in port and heading toward open water, the dog was kept securely tied on deck. Once the vessel passed the whistling buoy several miles offshore, the crew untied him and allowed him to roam freely.
The moment the leash came off, the dog bolted for the rail and leapt overboard, determined to swim back to shore. The Polycarp’s captain decided the ship could not turn back for a dog, leaving the animal to fend for itself.
Several hours later, the crew of Lightship No. 28 spotted the dog still swimming, struggling but resolute as it made its way toward land. They lowered a boat, pulled the exhausted animal aboard, and nursed it back to health.
Considering that a brisk breeze was blowing and the seas were running high, the dog’s feat - covering several miles in open water - was remarkable.
Two days later, the pilot boat Mamie Higgins retrieved the dog from the lightship and carried him ashore, returning him safely to his owner.
Later that year, the captain of LV-28 met a fate no one could rescue him from. On the morning of October 22, the steam tug Mina, part of the Houston Direct Navigation Company’s fleet, was docking at the marine railway near Sixteenth Street with a cotton barge when her propeller churned up the body of a man.
It was Captain Martin Stocker, the sixty-five-year-old keeper of Galveston lightship No. 28, affectionately known as “Cap” by his crew.
Stocker had come ashore the previous morning to buy supplies for the ship. He spent the day running errands and was last seen late that night near the docks.
The prevailing theory was that he returned afterward to check the lines securing his boat, lost his footing, and fell into the bay, where he drowned.
Bruises on his head suggested he struck the wharf as he fell, but nothing indicated foul play. His watch and other belongings were still on him.
A German-born mariner, Stocker had spent more than twenty-five years in the lightship service, working his way up from seaman to captain. Never married and with no local relatives, the man remembered as kind and generous was laid to rest by his crew in Lakeview Cemetery.
By the summer of 1900, local officials considered the aging lightship no longer effective or seaworthy. In July of that year, a committee including Lucian Minor, Bertrand Adoue, and Charles Fowler petitioned the federal government for a modernized lightship equipped with a steam whistle, a change to the Bolivar Light from fixed to revolving, the installation of lighted beacons at the ends of the jetties, and bell buoys placed at the turn of the channel.
A letter requesting these improvements had actually been sent - and approved - by the Lighthouse Board two years earlier, but no action had been taken.
The upgrades were deemed essential. Commerce at the port had increased 400 percent over the previous six years, with Galveston becoming the largest cotton port in the world and the third-largest grain port in the United States.
Before any changes could be made, however, LV-28 faced the ultimate test during the 1900 Storm. According to records from the U.S. Naval Institute, the 36-year-old lightship had been blown off station during earlier hurricanes, but never in a storm of this magnitude.
The wooden vessel - entirely reliant on sails for motive power - was torn from its moorings and snapped its 1,500-pound anchor and chains. The hurricane drove the ship roughly four miles into the bay before the crew managed to drop a second anchor, which finally held.
Although the ship’s windlass and whaleboat were destroyed and one of its masts was brought down, no lives were lost on board. Galveston Light-Vessel No. 28 was officially retired from lightship duty in 1906 and eventually sold in 1911.
Heald Bank Lightship LV-81 / WAL-507
In November 1903, the Lighthouse Board awarded a contract to the New York Ship Building Corporation of Camden, New Jersey, to construct a new lightship for Galveston at a cost of $90,000.
When completed, Lightship No. 81 was stationed roughly 28 miles southeast of Galveston’s harbor, moored in 42 feet of water on Heald Bank.
The vessel was a 120-foot, steel-hulled steam lightship with two masts, each encircled at the masthead by a red hoop-iron cagework that protected three mineral-oil lanterns - later converted to kerosene - fitted with French lenses that blended their beams into a single, powerful light. These cages could be raised and lowered on the masts and were stowed in deck houses during daylight hours.
The hull was painted red, with “Heald Bank” in white on each side and “81” on each bow and quarter. The ship carried black lower masts, white boats, deckhouses, and topmasts, and a black smokestack.
Between the masts stood a 12-inch steam whistle, which could be operated manually if its mechanism failed.
LV-81 was also equipped with a 750-pound submarine bell. When lowered 25 feet into the water, it emitted a distinctive bell-pattern sound wave that could be detected by ships equipped with underwater microphones from 10 to 15 miles away, providing a crucial navigation aid in dense fog.
The vessel’s anchorage used a mushroom-style anchor lowered from the bow, and its winch carried a special spring attachment designed to absorb slack and flex with the ship’s motion.
A banked fire was kept constantly in the boilers, though coal consumption averaged only about three tons per month. The steam produced powered the fog whistle and submarine bell and also heated the vessel during cold, damp weather.
Each year, from roughly July 15 to October 15, No. 81 was sent to New Orleans for dry-dock maintenance and repairs. The rotation gave the crew - about thirteen men - time ashore to visit family and regain their land legs. While the lightship was away, the station was marked by a red gas and whistling buoy.
On a Sunday afternoon in November 1907, Captain Evans and two of his men rowed their yawl away from the lightship to intercept a four-master positioned to handle mail and other matter for the Heald Bank station.
As they pulled alongside the large sailing vessel, Evans decided to go into the city himself. Rather than wait for the rope ladder to be lowered, he began climbing a rope over the side, slipped on the wet surface, and fell into the water.
His heavy winter clothing made swimming difficult, and before a rescue line could reach him, the current carried him several yards away. By the time the vessel and yawl came about and closed the distance, he had traveled nearly a mile - but had managed to stay afloat. It was a close call.
In September 1908, Captain Clinch wrote to Frank Patten at the Rosenberg Library requesting reading materials for his men. Patten gladly obliged, arranging for 250 pounds of books and magazines to be bundled and delivered to the lightship by the Mallary steamer, which carried the mail.
Clinch and other lightship captains fortunate enough to receive such treasures circulated them among nearby vessels so crews could share the reading.
Radio equipment was installed at last in 1913, but during the summer of 1919 the government ordered radio operators off all lightships. Two years later, service was restored, with operators scheduled on a monthly rotation.
Wireless reports of vessel positions at sea were received by the local naval radio station and published in the newspaper. The lightship’s call sign was WWBJ.
In 1926, under the watch of Captain McCluskey, the synchronized kerosene mast lights were replaced with electric flash lights, which were considered far more effective.
News began to circulate in the 1930s about government plans to abandon both the Heald Bank lightship and the Bolivar lighthouse due to the economic downturn. After more than a quarter-century of service, No. 81 left Galveston’s harbor for the last time in 1936, later serving at other U.S. stations until she was sold in 1951.
Her departure marked the end of lightship service at Heald Bank. No replacement vessel was assigned.
Instead, the station was marked first by an automated gas and whistling buoy, and later by a fixed offshore light structure installed and maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. These automated aids gradually took over the duties once performed by the lightship’s crew.
That transition brought to a close more than eight decades of lightship service off Galveston, beginning with the first vessel stationed there in the 1850s. Over that long span, Galveston’s lightships guided countless mariners through the Gulf’s shifting channels, their red hulls, masthead lanterns, fog signals, and submarine bells standing watch through wars, storms, and the rise of one of the busiest ports in the world.